From:
Jeremy D Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeremy D Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 17:29:16 -0400
On Tue, 20 Oct 1998 10:49:08 -0400 Keith Kannenberg
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
>I caught this in Lynn Burke's score posting from Saturday:
>
>> EXHIBITION
>> ----------
>> Penn State 6, Connecticut 1
>
>Should this result be taken as an indicator of the quality of play
>we can expect from the MAAC? UConn was picked to finish third in
>the MAAC this year and Penn State is an ACHA team (I think), albeit
>a very good one. Without a box score or recap it looks like a pretty
>convincing loss, at home, for Connecticut.
>
>I'm not trying to slam the new guys - just trying to get a feel for
>the level of play we can expect. I've never seen any of the MAAC
>schools play or Penn State for that matter.

Well, Penn State is the defending ACHA Division I National Champions, and
lost only 3 lettermen in the off-season.  They're good enough to start
building a successful NCAA team (I'm still unsure why they don't, other
than the lack of a quality facility because due to an amazing lack of
foresight, the Bryce Jordan Center isn't convertible to an ice rink).
They used to beat Canisius on a regular basis, and split with the
University of Findlay (who will soon be joining NCAA Division I) last
season.  So Penn State's win over UConn and overtime loss to Holy Cross
are probably more an indication of how good they are, more than the level
of play of the MAAC (heck, I'd give PSU a fair chance against the bottom
third of any of the conferences, and I believe UConn was 6th in the MAAC
preseason).

Still hoping to see Penn State in the Big Ten Hockey Conference...  :^)

Jeremy Hall
Clarkson '91

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]