From:
"Hagwell, Steve" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hagwell, Steve
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 09:54:17 -0500
I hope that I can put the issue of the BC-Ohio State overtime game to rest.
I'm not confident, but I'm hopeful.

Mr. Wong is incorrect in stating that the game will be recognized as a tie
for both teams at NCAA tournament selection time. Fact is, the game will be
recognized as a win for Boston College and a loss for Ohio State.

On Monday, a memo on this issue was sent to all conference commissioners,
supervisors of officials and NCAA ice hockey committee members, which
included the following:

"While the overtime format used at the Ice Breaker Cup did not comply with
NCAA rules, a winner (Boston College) was determined and, thus, the game
will be recorded as a victory for Boston College and a loss for Ohio State.
This includes the Ratings Percentage Index (RPI)."

As stated in my previous post, the rules are clear on this issue (Rule
6-48-a). While the overtime procedures used at the Ice Breaker were in error
(i.e., the first overtime should have been 20:00), the outcome is not
invalidated. The fact that the game was tied after the 5-minute overtime, is
moot.

Again, I'm hopeful the issue can be put to rest.

Steve Hagwell
NCAA Staff Liaison to the NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Rules Committee