From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Aug 1998 12:50:42 -0400
At 08:23 PM 8/28/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I'd also like to hear some RPI folks justify the pick for 5th - the way
>I see it, RPI is one of the most talented teams in the ECAC but that
>was true last year (in fact, it was the most talented team IMO).  I'm
>not sure that I could pick RPI over Yale, Clarkson, or Princeton.  Maybe
>ahead of Harvard.  And St. Lawrence could easily be right there (never
>mind Brown, Vermont and Dartmouth, one of whom could push into the top
>half).  This could be a great year for the ECAC , when you think about
>it.

I guess I qualify as "some RPI folks" so here goes. I'm rather annoyed
that someone has challenged me to "justify the pick for 5th". Nowhere
in any of the previous posts did I ever see anyone attached to or associated
with RPI pick RPI to finish anyplace. This was a "poll" taken by a sports
network (we all know how knowledgable sports networks are about college
hockey)
and is a pre-season poll which brings its predictive value down below zero.

Now to the matter at hand: (remembering that I'm a dyed in the wool Engineer
fan). RPI has a good chance to take the entire ECAC this year. They have just
as good a chance to finish in the 11-12 spot and miss the playoffs altogether.

They have an incoming freshman, Matt Murley, who has the skills and potential
to win Rookie of the Year honors and perhaps even gain national recognition.
But the transition to Div 1 college hockey is a big one as well as adjusting
to the rigors of the RPI course curriculum. He will be under a lot of pressure
and media attention. And, one freshman, no matter how good, cannot carry a
team
by himself. A returning healthy Alain St. Hillaire and Brad Tapper provide
a lot
of promise for the Engineer offense. On the negative side, the Engineers lost
Eric Healey from their offense and Brad Tapper from their defense. Unless
someone
steps up to fill their leadership roles, the season could be a long one.
Even worse, is the loss of team-leader heir apparent, Matt Garver who
transferred
to Division 3 RIT.  As tough as the loss of Healey and Brad Tapper were,
they were
expected (they were seniors). The loss of Garver came as a surprise and means
a lot more to the team's prospects.

Finally, last but maybe most important is the coaching situation. This is
something
not mentioned on this list, nor the RPI Sports list, but is a hot topic of
conversation around the Troy area.  What is going on with the team and coach
Dan Fridgen? On paper, RPI had the talent and experience to be in contention
for national recognition last year. And in some games, they played
brilliantly.
But, they were inconsistent. And the inconsistency was mental, not physical.
They were sky high for some games and forgot to show up for others.
This mental attitude (or lack thereof) is the responsibility of the
coaching staff.
Granted that the team leaders have a hand in this, but ultimately, it is
the coach
who must answer for it.  Add to that, the shock of Garver transferring to
RIT when
he had a legitimate chance at making All American at the Division 1 level and
its enough to make you wonder.
Garver said he was leaving for personal reasons. He denied any problems with
the coaching staff. His reasons are his business; they're private and we have
no right to expect any more explanation that he's already given. Nor do I have
anything that could be construed as "evidence" that there is a coaching
problem.
It's just that little bits and pieces keep popping up that make me (as well as
others), suspect that there may be trouble brewing here in (Hudson) River
City.

So, in answer to the original comment: does RPI deserve to be ranked 5th in
the nation, even in a pre-season poll? Nope. They have the potential, to be
sure
but I can't see it. Will I root for them just as hard as if they had a shot at
the national title? Absolutely! All that poll proves is that polls in
general and
pre-season polls in particular aren't worth the paper they're written on.
On the other hand, they got me out of the August doldrums and back into the
"hockey frame of mind". So maybe they serve a useful purpose after all.