From:
John Perkins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Perkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 11:31:19 -0500
> I seem
> to recall that the NCAA does not allow any advertisement or logo outside
> the neutral zone. The area from goal line to blue line is to be kept
> clear of any in ice ad or logo. I also seem to remember that the NCAA
> requires team logos located at center ice not to cover the center red
> line. In other words, the red line is to be in the top, or upper most
> layer of the ice and be continuous from side board to side board.

I believe the NCAA requires that all advertisements be removed from the ice and boards during TOURNAMENT play.  I definitely remember seeing ads in the ice covered with white tissue and iced over at the Bradley Center in Milwaukee during semifinals and final championship games.  The ads remain in the ice, though, for the conference finals, and WCHA-tourny sponsors have ads up on the boards all the way around for the Final Five.

Not sure what the ruling is for regular season play.  If there is such a rule, it clearly does not apply to arenas not owned by the school; Dane County Colesium here in Madison had lots of ads up on the boards and some in neutral ice for all the home games.  We'll see if the UW gets into the advertising game at the new Kohl Center this fall, though...

John Perkins