From:
Bob Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 07:37:20 -0400
Keith's comments tickled a brain cell in which I remember someone
discussing advertisements and team logos on the ice surface. Hopefully
someone with more knowledge of the NCAA rules can help out here. I seem
to recall that the NCAA does not allow any advertisement or logo outside
the neutral zone. The area from goal line to blue line is to be kept
clear of any in ice ad or logo. I also seem to remember that the NCAA
requires team logos located at center ice not to cover the center red
line. In other words, the red line is to be in the top, or upper most
layer of the ice and be continuous from side board to side board.

If this is an NCAA rule then how can ads be placed anywhere outside the
neutral zone? Several other list members have all ready discussed the
revenue dollars generated vs. operating costs required to run a Division
I hockey program better than I can. However, that won't stop me! Program
operating costs are going up and if schools can sell advertisements on
the boards to offset some of those costs then all the more to them. If
fans that don't want the boards sold can find other means of raising
$30,000 to $60,000 per year without impacting the student-athlete or
academic institution GREAT!