Date:
Sun, 26 Jul 1998 18:06:28 -0500
Brian D Helland wrote:

> This is already happening in the world of entertainment television.
> Ratings (the opinions of the viewers) are being tossed aside in favor of a
> system in which advertisers tell TV executives what to put on and when.
> Don't believe me?  Just ask the fans of "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman".

It's not that I don't believe you; it's that I can't fathom why anyone is
surprised, let alone offended.  It's really very simple.  The person (or
corporation) that PAYS for something has a lot more control over its content than
someone who consumes it for FREE.  Yes, consuming something for free is a nice gig
if you can get it, but you really shouldn't complain when it isn't exactly what you
want.  That's whining at its purest.  You get what you pay for.

> Now maybe people will better understand my rants against a Big Ten Hockey
> Conference. :-)

No, I don't, because you never acknowledge that there are NON-monetary reasons that
some of us want to see it.  All you ever seem to be able to see is greed.

J. Michael Neal