From:
Brian D Helland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian D Helland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jul 1998 12:47:29 -0500
On Sat, 25 Jul 1998, Richard Hungerford wrote:

> I agree with Jim.  My take is that it is fine to have the money coming in
> from the corporate world, as long as the sponsors do not interfere with
> the game.

This is already happening in the world of entertainment television.
Ratings (the opinions of the viewers) are being tossed aside in favor of a
system in which advertisers tell TV executives what to put on and when.
Don't believe me?  Just ask the fans of "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman".

> There is a reason I don't go to or watch pro
> hockey, besides it's junk.  I think you have to be very careful if you are
> in the college sports business, because you can slide easily into selling
> out the value you have.

The reasons most teams in the NHL aren't worth watching are three-fold:
1) Overexpansion,  2) The bogus idea that Bigger=Better (Eric Lindros
proves that wrong every season),  3) The Major Juniors are putting out
garbage-calibre talent.  Most of the good, skilled players are either
European or Russian (despite what Don Cherry Says).

> However, I'm more concerned with the general attitude so many people have
> these days that makes that situation possible.  People seem to accept as
> fact that we have to have everything "in our face".

Can you say DICK VITALE?!?! :-)

> As to the American shlock that making money makes it right - count me out.
> There is a responsibility element, that when ignored, does not go away.
> If appearing to the lowest common denominator is the reason for doing
> something, I think you've lost a great deal.

This is a message that is sorely needed in this country (the NC$$ in
particular).  There was a letter to the editor in the Grand Forks Herald a
couple of months ago which stated that a free-market system (which I
support by the way), needs to be tempered with morals and responsibility.
This gentleman complained that capitalism has obtained a "God-Like Status"
in the United States, and I agree 110%.  It's happened to College
Basketball, it's happened to College Football, and it's happened to
all professional sports....please don't let it happen to College Hockey.
What we have seen in sports at all levels proves that free markets don't
exist in the real world, only on charts and graphs.  If you want to debate
it with me, please do so via private e-mail.

> College hockey has been a wonderful game to watch, but I think Jim is
> right in pointing out that we need to guard what's good, or it won't be
> there.

Now maybe people will better understand my rants against a Big Ten Hockey
Conference. :-)

Brian.
(GO SIOUX!!!)

Fighting Sioux Hockey