From:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jul 1998 19:50:30 -0400
Joseph M LaCour wrote:
>Slow day so i thought I'd ask a question:
>
>In the last 10 years or so, has there been a case of a true walk on (ie
>unrecruited) making it and taking a regular turn on a Div 1 varsity team?

Minnesota's Jon Anderson (1986-1990) ekes his way into the "last 10 years
or so".  He ended up being named to the NC$$ All Tournament team in 1989,
so I think he qualfies as "taking a regular turn".  As for "Unrecruited",
let me quote from a Star-Tribune article from April of 1989...

Jon Anderson, who scored three goals Friday night to pace the Gophers' 7-4
victory over Maine, was a walk-on at Minnesota.

Assistant coach Dean Talafous recalled that Anderson, from White Bear Lake,
walked into the coaches' office one day practically begging to play.  "I
want to walk on and play hockey for Minnesota,"  Talafous remembered
Anderson as saying.  "He wanted to be a Gopher and wasn't asking for any
aid."

Anderson said that the only school that recruited him out of high school
was Michigan Tech.  "And they offered me only a token of aid," he said.
Coach Doug Woog rewarded Anderson with a little aid his sophomore year and
this season gave him enough for tuition and partial room, board and books.

-Pam Sweeney