From:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 14:09:23 -0400
>With UNO's pending admittance to the CCHA, another issue merits discussion:
>why?  As much as I admire Bill Beagan (the recently retired CCHA
>commissioner), his penchant for league expansion baffles me.  There are
>eleven teams in the CCHA.  Isn't that enough?  What does the CCHA truly gain
>by admitting *any* other team?

Well, they get an even # of teams, meaning they don't have to have any off
weeks. And I believe the new commissioner is handling the UNO matter, not
Beagan.

>When do the detriments of adding another team--more travel (these are college
>students, after all), the difficulty of scheduling, etc.--outweigh the
>benefits?

exactly, they're college kids. You really think they'd rather be in class
studying World Lit or something than on a bus or airplane going to play
hockey? Come on, it's a no brainer. I also can't see how scheduling 12 teams
would be harder than 11.

>Expansion for the sake of expansion itself seems
>foolish to me.

Who says this is expansion for the sake of expansion?