From:
"Dr. Tim Newman" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dr. Tim Newman
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 09:24:44 -0500
Troy Mills wrote:

> I have talked with a person from Huntsville on the USCHO Message board
> and he felt that it might not happen in Huntsville due to Title IX
> rules.  I think it would be great for their program if they did.

I am not so certain about that report.  Huntsville does not have
a football program, so we are less likely to have a problem with
Title IX, or at least so it would seem to me.  My guess is that UAH
is close to having a 50-50 split in men's versus women's scholarships.

I would be very surprised if Title IX was a problem here.  UAH
already has varsity college hockey, and furthermore has played
D-I hockey in the past before the D-II tourney returned.  Since
the D-I days, UAH has added women's soccer and softball.  Volleyball
could also be new since that time, although I'm not really sure.

Tim Newman