From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 19:31:46 -0400
Tim Newman <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> Let me be the first to propose a new Division I league.  I think that
> Army, Air Force, Mercyhurst or Niagara, Bemidji, Mankato, UAH, and UNO
> would make for a nice sixth D-I hockey league.  If Findlay wants
> to upgrade, they could join, possibly in place of the Hurst and Niagara,
> if one or both of those schools wants to go the MAAC route.  The
> teams could play a balanced schedule where everyone plays at everyone
> else's barns for one series a year.  Or, an unbalanced schedule with less
> games could also work.  The teams are fairly evenly matched, and we could
> have some good hockey.  Mike Machnik: do you know if anyone has
> proposed an arrangement like that before?

Depends what you mean by proposed. :-)  I am sure it has been talked about
by some people...maybe even some of the schools involved...but I don't know
that anything serious is being discussed.

An issue for UAH may be the increased travel costs.  Last year UAH played
26 of 30 games at home.  Would they be able to join a league and commit to
playing many more games on the road, when each road trip is a major expense
for them?

Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> Couple problems:
> 1) Mankato St. is already in the WCHA, so there is no chance they would
> leave to be a part of a new conference.

Also Mercyhurst is definitely moving to D1 and the MAAC in 1999.  (btw, as
USCHO has learned, some of the MAAC schools will not technically be
considered D1 next season...it appears that at least AIC and Sacred Heart
will not since they have not completed their probationary period yet.  And
Mercyhurst and Bentley will still probably be technically D2 and not
eligible for the D2 or D1 tourney when they join the MAAC in 1999.)

Niagara is interested in the CCHA.  They were also interested in Hockey
East, but they're about five hours outside of New England.  (which out East
is far)

> 3)I think I heard Army and Air Force have had chances to join conferences
> before but haven't, so why would they want to now?

I don't think Air Force has ever had a chance to join a D1 hockey
conference.  I also don't know of their interest.  Army was in the ECAC
from about 1984-91 and then decided to leave (replaced by Union).  I
believe that the MAAC would be interested in accepting Army, but Army seems
to prefer remaining Independent.  That may mean that they would not be
interested in a league such as Tim mentioned.

> >UAH, UNO, and other schools, are you listening?
>
> UNO is listening, but they don't want to do it unless they can't get in the
> CCHA or WCHA. And I have to agree. Without getting this whole issue going
> again, UNO started hockey with plans to be an above-average team in a few
> years with the goal of someday becoming a national powerhouse. Joining a
> Western MAAC type conference would be a step back in reaching that goal.
> It'd be harder to get recruits and the competition wouldn't be as strong.

The real issue, like with Niagara, is what would happen if UNO does not get
into the CCHA (or WCHA).  But we won't know until that is decided.  And it
may not even be decided in the near future -- suppose the CCHA decides to
table the motion and look at it again next year.

And there is a side issue here, which is brought up by your point:

> I think the prevailing feeling here
> in Omaha and with the University people is that we'd rather be a weak
> team(for awhile) in a major conference than a strong team in a weak
>conference.

This seems to be the way that most schools feel.  I.e. Niagara deciding
against the MAAC and going for the CCHA.  I believe that part of the issue
is the other schools that you would be connected with as a member of that
conference.  The CCHA and WCHA are attractive to schools looking to move up
because they will be associated with the Michigans, Minnesotas, etc.

And there is something to be said for the idea of being a small or medium
sized fish in a big pond as opposed to a big fish in a small pond (or no
pond as the case may be).  But at some point just being competitive is not
enough for your fans.  This has been the case with Merrimack...joining HE
and getting to play and even become competitive with BU, BC, etc. was a
real selling point early on.  But after nine years, the fans want wins.
Sometimes I wonder...would Merrimack regain the level of community and
school support it had in the 1980s if it was winning games, no matter what
the competition?

An interesting side question is, can Merrimack become a contender in HE,
and if not, would it consider moving to the MAAC.  Like with UNO, this type
of option isn't even being thought of now, especially with renewed optimism
following Merrimack's first round playoff win over BU and a change in
coaches that many feel will help them reach the next level.  But what
happens if five years down the road they are still in the same situation?
It's certainly possible that that could happen, even if they do build the
new rink, which by all indications will probably happen in the next few
years if not sooner.

It is possible that a school like UNO will face this dilemma too.  Will
8,000 people still come to the games if four years from now UNO is fighting
just to make the CCHA playoffs?  We won't know unless that happens.

As they say, necessity is the mother of invention.  The MAAC came about
because of necessity.  If there are enough other schools that want to band
together and form their own conference, they will.  But some scenarios
still need to be played out first.

Mike Machnik                [log in to unmask]               *HMM* 11/13/93
*****          Color Voice of Merrimack Hockey WCCM 800 AM          *****