From:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 May 1998 18:16:21 -0500
Charles Bell writes:

> I have been on this list for over four years and have yet to see the
> reason why everyone calls it the Phinal Phour.  I don't know why I am
> asking now, but I am going to cave in and request that someone tells me
> (please).  Oh, FWIW, I checked the Hockey-L FAQ and it did not give the
> reason.

Good question.  The NC$$ (yet another HOCKEY-Lism) restricts use of the
term "Final Four" to describe only the men's and women's Div1 basketball
championships.  "Phinal Phour" is one of the convenient euphemisms we
use on HOCKEY-L.  If my memory is correct, Bill Fenwick was the first to
use the term (I looked it up in the archives once).

-- Erik