From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 May 1998 15:18:54 -0400
>Why is Bates' team a club team yet they play an ECAC Alliance schedule?

The tradition of the ECAC Alliance has been to allow club sides in that
are run through the athletic department, provided things like a trainer at
all games and a few other details happen.  Basically it let's schools go
half way to a varsity program.  In the past the concept has been that
eventually all the colleges joining the Women's Alliance will end up
varsity.  With UVM going varsity today, that is now true for all the
original teams.

It is a fine idea as it let's schools get their feet wet, provides a
better situation for the players, and clearly helps the women's game
develop.  Also many of Bates' nearby rivals are in the Alliance.

Not all universities have the money or can get the sponsors to go big time
varsity with scholarships right away.  I think the ECAC Alliance is an
excellent model for things to come.

BTW, don't be surprised if as soon as 1999-2000 we see a major shift in
the East.  I expect a HockeyEast Women about then, and some of the ECAC
Alliance teams will be moving up into the ECAC League and, or HE.  The
background idea in the ECAC has always been that some teams may move up to
the League and some down to the Alliance.

So RPI (Women) join HockeyEast?  Whatever!

/
 good shooting
 hungerf