From:
Anthony Frolik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anthony Frolik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 May 1998 12:54:35 -0500
Comments:

Obviously Morrison is too soon, but I think Bonin maybe is too soon to say
there's a Hobey jinx on him.  like you said, Holzinger and Kariya are
doing well, and I have a feeling Marinucci will be up next year.  If Hrkac
put up 12 goals in 15 games, they'll definitely give him a chance if he
comes back next year.  Stauber never showed great talent in the NHL, but I
think he is definitely at least backup quality.  Maybe it's that
aggressive play that won him the Hobey that keeps him from the NHL.
Obviously Broten and Kurvers have had excellent careers, too.  This
happens all the time though.  How many Heisman winners haven't had great
football careers?  Plenty, Charlie Ward, Andre Ware, Gino Toretta and
Desmond Howard come to mind immediately, so I think Hobey winners are
probably about average as far as MVP-type award winners go.

Tony Frolik
Go UMD Dogs!