From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 11:56:15 -0500
Brett Marr wrote:

>I remember seeing a post from the UofAlaska Fairbanks awards ceremony
>stating that they selected MSU's Sean Berens as Most Respected Opponent.
>This sounds like a neat topic to fill a portion of the spring days after
>the season.
>
>For Michigan State, the choice seems easy, OSU Goalie Jeff Maund.  He
>gave us a heck of a time in the CCHA final and then stoned us bad in the
>West REgional.  No real goal scorer stands out, because the Spartans
>didn't usually give up a lot of goals.  Boisvert for OSU seemed to play
>well against us, but we pretty much neutralized most of the big guns we
>played, like Muckalt for UofM, Dan Boyle for Miami.
>
>So, who were the pains in the necks candiates for this year.  Whoops, I
>mean who would receive most respected opponent for your favorite teams?
>
>Bret Marr
>East Lansing
>Waiting til next season for the Spartans to finally win a NC$$
>touranament game, yet alone a tournament!

BU used to announce a "Most Honored Opponent" award (selected by the
players) at its annual banquet.  Do they still do this?  What other
programs do this?

I remember at the UNH banquet following the 1979 season (I think), it was
announced that Bob Gould had been honored by BU that year. I think it is a
great thing, and am curious whether other schools do this. It's something
I'd like to see UNH do in the future.

My choice for UNH would be a tie between Chris Drury and Brian Gionta.

Karen