From:
Kevin Coty <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kevin Coty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 10:26:42 -0500
DWollstadt wrote:

>why shouldn't the hit from behind have been a 5-minute major and a misconduct?
>Sure, the BC player looked around and saw that an OSU player was skating
>towards him--he was about 50 feet away at the time--but the BC player didn't
>draw the penalty by turning his back at the last minute. The BC player was
>facing the boards the entire time, and all the OSU player had to do was to not
>hit him in the back and drive him into the boards. Instead, the OSU player
>skates towards the BC player at full speed in a straight line and nails him,
>fluch on the back. If that isn't five minutes, then your saying that hitting
>from behind is a minor penalty unless a major injury occurs, which is how
>major injuries occur in the first place.
>
>HOCKEY-L is for discussion of college ice hockey;  send information to
>[log in to unmask], The College Hockey Information List.

I must disagree with the 5 minute major and game misconduct for checking
from behind in last nights BC-OSU game.  Yes the BC player did look behind
him and the OSU player (Schaffnit, I think) did make contact with him from
behind.  However, the contact did not make the BC player go head first into
the boards.  He caught him mostly on the shoulder which spun the BC player
a little and then hit the boards with the right side of him body.  To me, a
more appropriate call would have been boarding.  Apparently the ref didn't
see it that way, depending on his view of the play.  I don't disagree that
a penalty should have been called, but I think the hit did not warrant a
major and a game misconduct.

Later,
Kevin

Kevin Coty                                      "Earth,  Go figure"
Molecular Genetics Dept.                   --John Lithgow
The Ohio State University
484 W. 12th Ave.                        "Education is what remains
Columbus,OH 43210                    after one has forgotten
[log in to unmask]                            everything he learned
(614) 688-4227                              in school. "
fax (614) 292-4466                          --Albert Einstein