From:
"Sara M. Fagan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 15 Mar 1998 01:07:28 -0500
Can the commissioner of the ECAC please cancel the last 1 minute of the SLU
hockey game?   Since there hasn't been any posting regarding the SLU - Yale
games you may not realize that SLU has "lost" both games in the final minute.
Make that at :55 in game 1 and at :52 in game 2.  True, they didn't lose the
game but they did lose the lead.  It is so frustrating - from this SLU alum's
point of view.

In game 1 SLU outplayed Yale.  They out shot them by a good margin.  Sorry but
the numbers escape me.  SLU went ahead for the first time in the third period
but couldn't hold on for the win.  It was a very exciting game.  I think 2 of
Yale's 3 goals were power play goals and all of SLU's were at full strength.

In game 2 Yale was getting more shots on goal.  The shots on Heffler in the
first period were reported to be 21.  I think the shot total at the end of the
game was around 50.  SLU didn't have as many shots on goal.  SLU had the lead
until the last minute of regulation.  In the last 6 minutes or so Yale was given
a 5 minute penalty but SLU was unable to convert and Yale scored a short handed
goal to bring them within one.  Then, just as they did the night before, they
pulled their goalie with a little over 1 minute to go.  They scored with :52
remaining.  SLU had several really good chances but just couldn't get them in.
Yale had plenty of shots and Heffler stood his ground - for the most part.

Sorry for the lack of specifics but the intensity of the games prevent me from
taking notes.And the long drive home is exhausting.  Now we turn around and go
back tomorrow night.

Well most of the predicters said Yale and most said Yale in 2.  Well it
definately won't be in 2.  How often has ECAC first round series gone to three
games with the first two ending in ties?

Sorry for any typos. and the lack of details.  I think SLU has surprised quite
a few folks.

Sara
SLU '77
Let's go SAINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!