From:
Josh Herman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Josh Herman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 1998 20:00:32 -0500
At 04:33 PM 3/8/98 -0700, John Whelan wrote:
>        BTW, are we sure there wasn't a penalty called for that?  I
>haven't seen a box score with penalties, but as I recall the sequence,
>there were coincidental minors, then a penalty on Cornell less then a
>minute later.  All three of those penalties were about a minute and a
>half over when Clarkson took another penalty and Schafer got hit.
>They showed the scoreboard afterwards, and there were two penalties
>for each team (all they had room for).  I believe the times remaining
>were about 0:23 and 0:34 for Cornell and about 0:23 and 2:00 for
>Clarkson.  Now, if all that is right, what should have happened was
>about 23 seconds of 3-on-3, followed by about 11 seconds of 4-on-4,
>followed by a Cornell power play.  And yet, with subsequent penalties
>called, Cornell managed to eventually go on the 5-on-3, and score the
>go-ahead goal.  This would make sense if there were *two* Clarkson
>penalties called--perhaps the initial one followed by a delay of game
>or unsportsmanlike conduct--since then we would have had a 3-on-3 for
>about 23 seconds, at which point the coincidentals would expire and
>the extra Clarkson penalty would start, giving Cornell a 4-on-3, which
>would soon become a 5-on-3.  Make sense?  So, does anyone have a full
>box or recall what penalties were called at the long stoppage?

Sorry for the long quote...
Neither of the penalties called at that stoppage were for unsportsmanlike
conduct or anything of the sort.  I believe they were a cross-check and a
trip.  Additionally, neither of the penalties were called on the Clarkson
player, Mitchell I believe, who (and it sure looked intentional from where
I was sitting) sent the puck into the Cornell bench.

-Josh Herman
Cornell '99