From:
Bill Schneller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Schneller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 23:18:46 -0500
According to today's Providence Journal the five members of the women's
Olympic team with collegiate elibility remaining are prohibited under NC$$
rules from appearing on the Wheaties box with their teammates. No
student-athlete can "permit the use of his or her name or picture to
advertise, recommend or promote directly the sale or use of a commercial
product of any kind" according to the rulebook. The Providence College
compliance coordinator plans to file an appeal on behalf of the Lady
Friar's Sara DeCosta, but with the photo having already been taken,
production time, and the planned rollout of the box the week of March 2 a
change seems unlikely.
According to NC$$ member service director Steve Mallonnee "the idea is to
protect athletes from being exploited by commercial enterprises." I can't
say I'm really surprised by the rule, I figured something along those lines
would come up. But it's the Wheaties box we're talking about here. All I
can say is jeez...

-Bill Schneller