From:
Bob Griebel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 02:19:05 EST
In a message dated 98-02-21 13:50:54 EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

<<  The even playing field means no athletic scholarships.  >>

Ken,

I agree.  I think you should catch the first plane to Tallahassee to persude
Bobby Bowden that the elimination of college athletic scholarships is good for
college hockey . . . and you should do it at your own expense, since that
would be a complete waste of time and money.

I'm also not sure that your suggestion doesn't merely even the playing field
as its first step, before it goes on to eliminate the playing field.  Instead,
how about suggesting something in the way of scholarship reform that's
justified and has at least a 2% chance of success?  Personally, I don't know
what's objectionable about insisting that athletic scholarships for hockey be
funded from a common pool that's maintained by all the member institutions.

If bowl proceeds can be split among conference members, what's wrong with
requiring NCAA member schools, all of which benefit from viable competition
from other schools, to contribute to a central fund for that purpose?  What's
unreasonable about expecting Michigans and Minnesotas and Wisconsins to
contrbute more to that fund than they get back if that's how the chips fall?
That, at least, might get adopted without waiting for Bobby Bowden's approval.

Finally, as to whether I'm holier than thou, could you forward some personal
references from clergymen to give me a basis for comparison. ;>)

Bob