From:
Russell Jaslow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Russell Jaslow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 14:52:10 -0500
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Once a player puts the stick in there, it would become exceedingly
> difficult to pick out which stick is the one in question. Because while
> #19 may have his number on his sticks, we wouldn't know how many of #19's
> sticks are in the rack (or pile). I suspect that if the stick had made it
> to the bench, they would have simply gone with the unsportsmanlike
> conduct minor and the 10-minute misconduct. (Running on the theory, of
> course, that running and hiding your stick on the bench is an admission
> of guilt.)

This is exactly what happened to the Soviets in I believe the last Canada
Cup that was played (before they remaned it the World Cup).  Team Canada
asked for a stick check, but by then the Soviet player had just gotten to
the bench.  He immediately passed his stick to others on the bench, and
suddenly everybody was passing all sorts of sticks to everybody else.  The
ref saw this and didn't hesitate to call a 2-minute unsportsmanlike penalty.

I'm sure this is in rulebooks across all levels which makes the idea of
trying to hide a stick meaningless.  You're better off hoping they mess up
the measurement.

Russell Jaslow        |       Potsdam College Bears Hockey       |My employer
Eastman Kodak Company |   ****** 1996 SUNYAC Champions ******    |has nothing
Rochester, New York   | Publisher and Editor - SUNYAC Newsletter |to do with
[log in to unmask]      |1981, 1986 NCAA D-III National BB Champs. |my drivel.
**** Free The Indy 500 -- Institutionalize Tony George **** -----------------