From:
Joseph M LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joseph M LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 1998 13:46:32 -0500
On Wed, 7 Jan 1998 22:56:42 EST Larry0405 <[log in to unmask]> writes:
<SNIP>
Jeremy Roenick lived outside DC and played for the NJ Rockets (outside
NYC) as Bantam on a team that won the nationals.
<SNIP>
==
Having seen Jeremy play for the local Tier 1 club as a PeeWee, I can only
say that IMHO he made the right choice.  He got exposure, got into Taft,
got drafted, got a free ride to BC (attendence < 1 month), played in the
Stanley Cup playoffs, and is making more bucks in his NHL career than
I'll (and most of us on Hockey-L) will make in our lifetimes.

In his case, the end DID justify the means.  He got better coaching and
better exposure playing for the Rockets than he would have staying in DC.

Of call the kids from the DC/MD/VA area who have gone on to play Div 1,
and there have been 3 or 4 to my knowledge, ALL had to go outside the
area to play and "get noticed".  The SE part of the US is not on the
Hockey map.

Now as to the politics of youth hockey along the eastern seaboard, visit
the youth hockey discussion list.  We have a lot of fun there.

Joe