From:
Rob and Kara Zielinski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 1998 13:35:04 -0600
Gee Nate, Don't like the Gophers much, do you?

I will not contradict the DeBus penalty.  Rule 407(d) in my USA Hockey
"Official Rules of Ice Hockey" book states:  "A minor penalty shall be imposed
on a goalkeeper who leaves the immediate vicinity of his crease during an
altercation."  And 407(e) states:  "If a goalkeeper deliberately participates
in the play in any manner when he is beyond the center red line, a minor
penalty shall be imposed upon him."  (Almost seems like the ref called the
wrong penalty!)  And yes, he should have gotten a roughing as well, he did take
some swings after getting down to that end of the ice.

Now, when Robitaille skated out of the goal he was not going to the aid of his
defenseman or to chat with the ref.  He headed straight toward Spehar with one
thing on his mind.  Dave's hands never left his side as Robitaille skated up to
him and proceeded to throw his stick/blocker/glove into his face.  I'm sure
that earlier in the game Spehar camped himself out in his crease or came
through looking for a rebound and Robitaille didn't like it too much.  Spehar
certainly isn't afraid to crash the net, most good forwards aren't.  But where
I coach (Bantams in Minnesota) if a player takes a swing (fist/stick/whatever)
at another players head it's a fight and that player sits down for the rest of
the game and another game (or more) to boot. Even a goalie (I've seen it done
this year).  A 4 minute rough and a 2 for high sticking seems more than fair to
me in this situation.  Rule 407(d) above could also apply if you want to get
technical about things.

Now that poor defenseman that was getting his face pounded into the
ice...hmmm...I wonder why it was that the Gopher player couldn't get up
initially.  It couldn't be that the Huskie was holding a leg under him, could
it?  This was no different than many other plays/calls that I've seen
throughout the year thus far.  Offsetting penalties:  A hold on the defensive
player and a rough on the offensive.  No biggie.

What really started the whole melee was Robitaille taking the shot at Spehar.
 Dave didn't do a lot to get out of Robitaille's way, but I don't imagine that
it would have mattered.  He made a bee line to where Spehar was standing and
took his shot.  I don't recall exactly where Spehar ended up during the rest of
the bumping so I can't comment on what he did after getting hit. If the ref
didn't think he deserved a penalty then he shouldn't call one.

And on that note, while I often disagree with individual penalty calls or
non-calls the referees this year have been doing a good job in the WCHA games
I've seen.  Sure, that's only 10-12 of them, but if there was a major problem
(as you seem to suggest) I think I would have seen it in that number of games.
 In this particular case the referees needed to gain control of the game at
that time, it was getting pretty chippy on both sides.  I won't even bother to
comment on your suggestion that the referees were calling penalties only to
help out the Gophers.