From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 1997 14:01:00 EST
It seems that it's never too early for Hobey Baker talk.
I've already heard Adam Hauser's name mentioned
for 2000 or 2001, and he's not even in college yet!  I'm
going to stick to 1998 for now and tell you more about
a leading candidate...Michigan winger Bill Muckalt.

Through 18 overall games this season, Muckalt leads
the CCHA in goals (18), points (30), game-winning goals
(5) and power-play goals (8).  He's catapulted a young
Michigan team to a 14-3-1 record.  UM is 11-0-1 when
Muckalt has scored a goal and 13-0-1 when he has
registered at least one point.

MICHIGAN SCORING IN THE 1990s
SEASON     GP   G   G/GP
1990-91    47  248  5.28
1991-92    44  215  4.89
1992-93    40  238  5.95
1993-94    41  205  5.00
1994-95    39  218  5.59
1995-96    43  239  5.56
1996-97    43  242  5.63
1997-98    18   70  3.89

Muckalt is posting a goal-a-game at a time when the once
vaunted UM offense is averaging under four.  With UM's
only other returning proven scorer, Matt Herr, sidelined due
to injury, Muckalt is literally carrying the offensive load.
He's a terror on power plays, is a top penalty killer and
is getting an enormous amount of ice time despite being
the target of the opposition on every shift.

Not a one-season wonder, Muckalt is the leading active
goal scorer (57) and point producer (121) in CCHA play.
His 189 overall points leads all active Division I players.

And, for those still reading, a couple of quotes on Muckalt:

"It seems like every game he plays us he has a good
game.  He has good speed and great moves."  --  Doug
Woog, head coach, Minnesota.

"Billy's big, strong and fast.  I'm not an NHL scout, but if I
had a vision of a premier NHL player, he'd be the guy.  He
has to prove that yet, but I think he is going to be a better
player than any other guy that has come out of Michigan."
 --  Matt Herr, captain, Michigan.

Happy Holidays!

John Haeussler