From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 1997 20:01:27 -0500
>On Sat, 13 Dec 1997 12:52:30 -0500 Karen/Greg Ambrose wrote (although it
>hit my server this morning):
>
>> At 13:06 another UNH "goal" was disallowed as Larocque attempted to
>>cover up a
>> rebound.  From my vantage point, 4 rows from the ice in the UNH zone, the
>> puck was not frozen and, after several swipes, UNH did put it in the net.
>> However, Gravallese was again too quick with the whistle, a decision that
>> proved costly 15 seconds later.  After Dan Ronan had been whistled off for
>> interference as a result of this scrum, UNH turned the puck over at center
>> ice and BU's Carl Corazzini scored on a slap shot that eluded Matile.  So,
>> instead of being tied, UNH found themselves down by two as the period
>> ended.
>
>The whistle blew because of a delayed penalty call.  The delayed penalty
>on Ronan was signaled prior to the scrum.  As soon as the BU goaltender
>made contact with the puck, the whistle was blown.  He did not have to
>freeze it, just "control" it.  Gravallese made the right call.
>
>--
Ed:  I was looking right at it from the fourth row.  LaRocque did not
control the puck, Gravallese just decided to blow the whistle, probably
because he couldn't see it. And besides, what about the other "calls" and
non-calls.  A few weeks ago he called 34 penalties in a game vs. Merrimack,
but his job in this game was much, much worse because his decisions truly
did affect the outcome of the game.

Greg Ambrose