From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 10:17:28 -0500
On Dec 11, 21:11, Edward N. Moller wrote:
>Pain did not subside by Wednesday afternoon, so yesterday my dad saw his
>doctor.  X-rays disclosed a broken bone on his arm where he got hit. Bernie
>now enters the disabled list just in time for exam break.  It is yet to be
>determined whether he will apply to the NCAA for a medical redshirt.
>
>Let this be a lesson to all of us.  Beware of flying pucks.

Reminds me of the possibly apocryphal story of why there are nets above the
glass at both ends of Lynah Rink... apparently, the nets were added in the mid-
to late '70s.  Prior to this time, there was nothing above the glass.  One
night, a player fired a shot toward the goal; the shot was way high, flew over
the glass, and nailed an unsuspecting fan on the side of the head.  The fan
shook it off, continued to watch the game... and DIED later that night,
probably of a cerebral hemorrhage.  The nets went up very soon after this.

As I say, I don't know how true the story is, but it's perhaps significant that
nowadays, whenever a fan takes a head shot like that, the medical personnel are
there within seconds, and almost always, the unfortunate puck recipient is
taken away for further treatment.  I have twice seen fans get hit in the head
and be carted off to the hospital despite LOUDLY protesting that they were all
right!

(Actually, this is probably SOP at other rinks as well)

--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95                                             DJF  5/27/94
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  JCF  12/2/97
"I liked your opera.  I think I will set it to music."
-- Ludwig van Beethoven, to a contemporary