Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 17:29:23 -0600
Edward N. Moller wrote:

> BU is ranked fifth in the nation in total offense, but don't ask me
> why.  Their power play is completely ineffectual, and they have a
> terrible time winning faceoffs.  BU's strength is on team defense.
> Right now I give BC's forwards the edge. Come playoff time, however,
> it's the hot goalie that's the difference.  Last night McLaughlin was
> outstanding.  I just don't see him or Clemmensen in conjunction with
> their defensemen holding up the Eagles as a team to beat in March.

It would be a stretch to look at a team that's fifth in the nation in scoring and
say that their strength is team defense.  In the games I've watched and with the
stats I've picked up, it seems that scoring is down all over.  When power plays
are down as far as they are in the WCHA, I have to think that something systemic
is going on.  I haven't managed to figure out what it is, but everyone's defense
(even the Gophs) is doing fairly well by the numbers.  I think whatever disease
the ECAC caught last year is contagious.

J. Michael Neal