From:
"Ralph N. Baer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ralph N. Baer
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 1997 06:28:34 EST
I don't think that a separation of the ECAC between Ivies and
non-Ivies will be initiated by a mass departure of the non-Ivies.
The school administrations in several, if not all, of the non-Ivies
appear to feel that there is reflected academic glory from being in
a sports league with the Ivies.  I have never bought this argument,
especially since it is in only one sport.  (Note to Jayson Moy and/or
Kurt Stutt: Do you know when the last time was that RPI played an
Ivy League school in some other sport?)  Certainly academics has come
up repeatedly as a factor for RPI staying in the ECAC each time that
RPI has thought about going to the HEA.  It seems more likely that a
separation, if there is ever to be one, will be initiated by the Ivies
not liking the fact that the majority of the non-Ivies give athletic
scholarships, play more games, etc.  Again, I don't think that this
will happen, at least in the near future.

As to Vermont leaving and joining the HEA, I also don't think that
this will happen.  As was stated a few years ago when the rumor was
around the Vermont might join RPI in going to the HEA, UVM, even
though a state school (the only one in the ECAC) likes at times to
consider themselves as different from other state schools.   (If
someone from UVM disagrees with this last statement, please state
your opinion, don't just flame me,  My opinion on this topic only
comes from reading Hockey-L for 5-1/2 years and from exchanges of
emails from other readers of Hockey-L, not from any knowledge
of UVM gained from personal experience.)

Please note that I have absolutely no knowledge of what actually is
transpiring (if anything), just my views of observing ECAC politics
(and cringing at them) for 33 years.

Ralph Baer
RPI '68, '70, '74
Beat Colgate and Cornell!