From:
"Cheryl A. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cheryl A. Morris
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 1997 12:02:06 -0500
On Wed, 26 Nov 1997, Dave Wollstadt wrote:

> serious mistakes that we are trying (successfully, so far as I can tell) to
> remedy, or because of moral terpitude. Greg Ambrose accuses us of the latter,
> and that deserves a very, very strong response.
>
> The NCAA sanctions--indeed, this entire controversy--has not been fun. It has
> been a very painful experience that took much of the joy out of hockey for me
> and many other loyal Maine fans while it was in process. When Maine's final
> appeal was denied, even though we didn't get the relief we had hoped for,
> most of us were relieved, because the ordeal had reached a conclusion.
> Closure. And then along comes some twit like Greg Ambrose, quoting a
> half-baked story by an unknowledgeable and not-very-competent Boston Globe
> reporter, to spread the same old half-baked tales that were investigated--and
> rejected--by the NCAA.

Could people please lighten up.  I thought name-calling was the absolute
sin of all INTERNET discussion groups.  Greg's original post, while
confrontational, certainly doesn't justify the kind of "circle the wagons"
response that has been engendered.  This type of thing keeps going on
unabated despite the admonitions of the people who have put the whole
Hockey-l list together.  I am beginning to share their disgust, and if
people out there don't begin to curb their inflammatory rhetoric, this
list is going down the tubes.

I am appalled by the quality of discussion and the content.  Does anyone
out there want to talk about the hockey played on the ice, not the
sideshows in the halls of the administrations, or newsrooms across the
country?  Why does a topic such as this generate more comment than the
games--I actually got the score on the BC/Brown game out of the T-U.  It
has yet to appear on Hockey-l.  Not picking out anyone for dropping the
ball, I offer this as emblematic of what the list seems to have become.
The quantity of my own postings has declined this year due to my congested
schedules.  If others share the problem, than maybe the list should just
die.  It doesn't seem worth it to maintain a list catering to invectives
and diatribes.  There's plenty of that out on the INTERNET already.
Brian Morris                  RPI Engineers--Forget About It