From:
Charles Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 1997 11:13:31 -0600
This was one of the best performances that I have ever
seen in person over the last five years.  UND get a pair of goals from
Jay Panzer and David Hoogsteen to take four points from the pioneers this
weekend.  UND outshot DU by almost 2 to 1 and the number of attempts also
had a 2 to 1 difference.

Opinions:

-  Great all-around performance by the Sioux.  The forecheck was
top-notch and the transition game was back in full force.  Even players
who I normally complain about being too lethargic were scrambling for
loose pucks.  This was the first game this year I have seen where
the intensity has been sustained for 60 minutes.

- The only bad part of the evening for UND was too many defensive
turnovers.  DU was only able to capitalize on one of them but several
great scoring chances thanks to errant plays.

- UND goes 4 for 8 on the power play tonight.  This appears to be a repeat
of last year when the team would struggle on the power play one night and
score most of its goals the next night on it.

- DU has trouble with breakaways.  They had very few good shots when they
did have a breakaway.  Several of the times a shot was not even attempted
due to a mishandled puck.

- One of the more humorous events happened when a scramble for the puck
behind the DU net resulted in a player tipping the net up and the puck
going in behind the net.  This resulted in a no-goal call and the crowd
doing the sieve cheer at the net.