From:
Emmitt Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Emmitt Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 19:19:24 -0600
On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, Randy May wrote:

> In a message dated 11/17/97 1:23:45 PM, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>
> <<After checking with the Gopher Hockey office....
>
> The correct answer is: Dean Blais.
>
> Before the late 60's (not sure of the exact year) players did not
> play on the "Varsity" squad during their freshman year...so no one
> earned four letters before then.>>
>
> Then how the heck did Mayasich play 4 years??? NCAA violation!!! :-)
>
> Randy
> http://members.aol.com/Al20Secord/Randyshabit.html

I'm sure most of the confusion comes from the fact that until the early
1970's freshman were ineligible to compete in "varsity" athletics.  This
is why players like Pete Maravich have career records based on three
seasons, and modern records are based on four.

However, there are a few exceptions to this rule, (two I believe), during
the Korean War and World War II, freshman athletes were allowed to
compete, as many upper classman went off to war.  This fits players like
Mayasich (and also North Dakota's career goals leader Ben Cherski) who
indeed played four "varsity" seasons.  Perhaps such players were not
granted a letter during their freshman year, but their stats indeed come
from four seasons of play.

Hope this sheds some light on things.

Vindy
Let's Drop the Puck