From:
"Andrew J. Weise" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew J. Weise
Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 1997 17:16:52 -0500
I agree with everyone on the fact that the implementation of this game
is wrong.

I missed last year's game, but I can only imagine that the atmosphere
was much better than it was this year. According to attendance reports,
there were 2,000 more people last year. I was glad that RPI's pep band
was there since it made the game feel like a college hockey game. Take
them away and you have the occasional "let's be raucous" from the fans,
which was no where near enough noise to make it worthwhile.

However.....

I like the idea of it. I think they should keep it an annual thing.
Outside of the Beanpot, I don't know any other pair of major Division I
schools that have an annual non-conference game against each other.
The only pair of schools that I can think of that are as close to
each other as Union & RPI are Clarkson & St. Lawrence. To my knowledge,
they don't have anything like this. IMO, they probably should.....

My suggestions for improvement:

1) Have this game played in mid or late January. That's just about
   when everyone is getting over the holidays and starting to get
   gung-ho hockey.

2) Keep it at the Knick (I've never heard of the Pepsi Arena), but
   each school should provide some form of transportation for students
   to the game. Students seem to create the atmosphere - just ask any
   non-student attending a Clarkson or Cornell game.

3) Schedule this on a Saturday!! You don't have to wolf down your dinner
   and drive 90 MPH on I-787 to get there in time.

This game is no "wasting of a non-conference game" (why is RPI playing
Niagara???) if you ask me. The intentions to enhance the rivalry are
good and justified. College hockey has always been in the area, but
nobody really knew enough about it. Adding more games won't hurt a bit.

The Christmas tourney with RPI, Union, and a couple of western teams is
a good idea, also. However, it won't enhance the rivalry that the
organizers of this game are looking for.

-Andy