From:
"Cheryl A. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cheryl A. Morris
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 1997 16:59:21 -0500
On Thu, 13 Nov 1997, Jim Teresco wrote:

> The RPI-Union game at the Knick/Pepsi in Albany on Tuesday night was a
> very exciting hockey game, but it was missing an important thing -
> fans in the seats.  Particularly students.  I think I heard attendance
> somewhere around 3300, way down from last season's 5600+.  It wasn't
> for a lack of promotion - the TV and radio ads were everywhere the
> last week or so.  While 3300 wouldn't fit in Achilles, that crowd
> wouldn't even make the RPI Fieldhouse look full and sure looked bad in
> a place as large as the Knick.  3300 people can yell and scream all
> they want and it's not going to sound loud in there.  So where was
> everyone?  Union had two nice crowds last weekend, and RPI had far
> more than 3300 each night.  Why weren't they there?  Some ideas..

Actually I think it's something more fundamental.  The whole concept is
flawed.  Why will people go out to see a third game between two local
hockey teams, especially when it is essentially meaningless?  Face it,
Albany is no Boston, and the Capital Skate Classic is certainly no
Beanpot.

I hope they discontinue the whole thing unless they make some major
changes, like the format for instance.  I am tired of RPI wasting its NC
games on Union, especially when the administration sees fit to line up
a slate of rollovers to boost the won-loss record. As I posted when the
thing was first announced, the Knick should host a tournament with two
outside teams, preferably WCHA, but at least CCHA, to play RPI and Union.
If by some stroke of luck, a team the likes of Wisconsin could be enticed
into playing a couple of games at the Knick against the local teams that
would be a litmus test for hockey support in Albany.

If it proves impossible to organize such a tournament in Albany, than I
would propose that RPI move its Xmas Tournament to the Knick, with the
additional potential $ support enabling it to attract a better field.
That has as much chance as me going out to finish raking my lawn in the
ongoing blizzard.  Home games at Houston Fieldhouse = $$$.  I doubt a
package could be put together that would equal it in size.

So, IMHO let it die.  And if they keep scheduling it on Tuesday nights, it
will of its own accord.  It was a great idea.  Too bad they fumbled on the
delivery.
Brian Morris                   RPI Engineers--5-2, 2-0 in the ECAC