From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 13:34:52 -0600
On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Eric J. Burton wrote:

> > #1 N. Dakota - First of all ... I think too much
> > has been granted to N. Dakota as fas as "reigning
> > #1". Once they lost to Minnesota, they should have
> > lost #1.
> UND hasn't played a Home game yet.

Really? You mean I drove down on October 19th and saw a lacrosse game? :-P

> Besides UND played two of the toughest places to play in the country and
> got 5/8 not too bad.

Yes, but they did lose. One can certainly make the argument that a
defeated team should, in most cases, be ranked behind an undefeated team.
But, as was said earlier, if UND was going to drop from #1, that would
have happened after the Minnesota series. Taking 3 of 4 points from CC in
CC should at least maintain their position.

I would suspect what happened was not so much overrating of UND, as
overrating of Minnesota. The loss to Minnesota was discounted, apparently on
the basis that (at the time) Minnesota was a top-10 team. If UND had
split with Wisconsin, or Minnesota-Duluth, they almost certainly would
have fallen from #1. Now that another week has passed, it seems that
Minnesota is not as good right now as their preseason billing, but we'll
see.

I wouldn't spend much time worrying about polls or standings until about
1/3 of the season is done. When 1/3 of the season passes, what you see is
pretty much what you'll get. Teams will by that point have found their
level (for the most part).

>         We all know what BU did against UND last year so your argument
> has holes in it.

The polls should measure this year, not last year. UND has changed, BU has
changed, we don't know what would happen if BU and UND were to meet this
weekend.

See you later,
John

--
John Edwards - [log in to unmask] - http://www.islandnet.com/~jedwards
            "When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine University."