From:
Charlie Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 1997 19:08:02 -0700
> Date:         Tue, 11 Nov 1997 20:29:46 -0500
> From: Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:      Box scores/Penalties
>
> However, I liken the omission of penalties in hockey stats to the omission
> of errors in a baseball game or fumbles in a football game.  All three
> represent failures which afford the opposition to take advantage of the
> others miscues, whether physical or mental.  Is this not important to how
> the game is played and why one team is victorious and the other is not?

absolutely...

> Again, those who are "volunteering" their time, I am grateful for whatever
> you provide.  However, for those who are transmitting their information to
> USCHO, which most recognize now as the primary source of information for
> college hockey fans, please remember that penalties are an important part
> of the game and contribute to the fans understanding of how a game was
> played.

ah, there's the rub.  People are wrong.  USCHO is NOT the primary
source of information, Hockey-l is.  USCHO has made a decision to NOT
include the penalties.  I know because i've sent them box scores with
misspellings and penalties included.  The misspellings have stayed and
the penalties have gone.  Thus, to me, Hockey-l (and its derivatives)
provide BETTER and MORE VALUABLE information than USCHO.  Maybe that's
why I fight so hard to keep hockey-l as valuable as it has been.  If
people stop posting the information here, it WON'T be available at
all.

> Greg Ambrose

         charlie shub   University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
[log in to unmask]  -or-  [log in to unmask]  -or-  [log in to unmask]
(719) 262-3492      (fax) 262-3369          http://www.cs.uccs.edu/~cdash