From:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 1997 17:14:04 -0500
My thoughts on the rankings ....

#1 N. Dakota - First of all ... I think too much
has been granted to N. Dakota as fas as "reigning
#1". Once they lost to Minnesota, they should have
lost #1. But, that was their opening weekend
versus a tested Gopher squad so they fared about
as well as anyone else in the nation could
possibly expect. (Maine did fare a bit better, but
Minn. was still warming up).

But, seeing that they entered the weekend in the
#1 slot ... its hard to justify losing it after
they travelled to CC and took 3 of 4 points.

Are they the #1 team? I don't know. They
definitely are a good measure better than CC and
even more so over Minnesota/Wisconsin. Therefore,
that in itself warrants a good look as the #1
team. Any WCHA team that can distance themselves
from the pack should be ranked higher than a CCHA
or HockeyEast team that is battling amongst its
own league giants.

Is BU a good measure better than Maine, B.C., etc.
Could be! Doing what they did in Maine certainly
says so. Therefore, its is justifiable BU and N.
Dakota are jockeying for #1. But, B.U. should
probably have the edge being undefeated and all.

Records against ranked teams ...
          W/L   GF/GA    Rank of opponents
BU        2/0   12/0     #6, #13
N.Dakota  2/1/1 15/13    #4, #4, #11, #11

Now, Michigan State is another story. Much the
same can be said for them but we'll leave that
until next week.