From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Nov 1997 18:41:51 -0600
On Sun, 9 Nov 1997, Doug Garn wrote:

> > > As far as I'm concerned, if you post a box without any penalties you
> > I disagree totally. While penalty listings are certainly important
> > (perhaps even vital) to getting a complete picture of a game,
> Most of (but not all) of the people that do post boxes here have all the
> penalty info at hand anyways.  Why don't they take the time to post it?

That assumes that people are either getting the summaries from SIDs, or are
writing *everything* down. If someone is there as a fan, or listening on
the radio, I don't expect them to be stenographers.

It is also perhaps because they have better things to do with their time. If
someone is not getting paid for typing in and posting a summary (and the
vast majority of posters are in that situation), I don't feel it's my
place to demand that they type in more stuff. I'm appreciative of what
information is given.

When I post a game summary, I do try to add penalty info, goalie info, power
play stuff, time outs, and whether the guy shot the puck through that hole
in the board during the second intermission. I like to see that in
summaries. But, and I can not possibly emphasize this point enough -
*I* *HAVE* *NO* *LIFE*.

Other posters may very well have lives, and I'm not going to begrudge
them that. I'm *certainly* not going to demand that [Info-]Hockey-L
become their lives.

> >  the problem this list is facing is not enough active participation.
> Yes I do miss some of the more prolific posters of days gone by.

And, unfortunately, I fear a "dammit, you owe me this" attitude will
dissuade others from posting. If someone takes the time to post a
summary, and the feedback they get is "This sucks. Where are the penalties?"
then they could easily decide that its not worth the time to do anything.

> > If a box without penalties is so annoying to you, just read the score
> > and move on to the next post.
> And that's what I do 99% of the time.

That's what I do as well, with most summaries, because I have a passing
interest in at most 5 or 6 teams. For example, I really don't care about
most (if not all) of Lake State's games. But I am still appreciative of any
summaries and reports that come from there because I know that at some
point a team that I do follow will play at LSSU, and I'm going to want to
know what went on. I suspect most subscribers/readers are in that same
situation.

The bottom line is that this list, and INFO-HOCKEY-L are only the sum of
their posters. And these lists are still my primary source of College
Hockey info. That is why I post whatever summaries I can (from the few games
that I'm able to attend) and am glad that people do the same, with
penalties or not.

See you later,
John

--
John Edwards - [log in to unmask] - http://www.islandnet.com/~jedwards
            "When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine University."