From:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 1997 15:23:36 -0500
HSMC ... Here's some MORE coverage!!!

Just a quick commentary on my earlier prediction
(last June on NECHI's board) on the Lowell seniors
causing more "Who the hell is that?" response
throughout HockeyEast. As has often been the case,
a Lowell senior has shown that the Lowell program
knows how to develope players by putting forth a
great senior year where their underclassmen years
have been merely adequate. Most recent examples
are Neil Donovan "97", Brendan Concannon "96", and
Dwayne Roloson "94" among many others.

This years nominees are Marty Fillion, Mike
Nicholishen, Chris Libett and Shannon Basaraba.
Now, previous accolades could remove Nicholishen
and Fillion from contention. Nicholishen got a lot
of respect last year as one of the premier
defensemen in the league ... His play so far has
certainly solidified that position. Fillion had a
good deal of success his sophomore year but last
year's average play does put him in a position to
make a remarkable improvement. Chris Libett came a
long way last year. His defensive talents
gradually showed strong development and his
skillful puck-handling was starting to show
through in game play (watch this kid warming up
before a game). So far this year, I'd have to put
him in the early lead. He showed great
on-ice leadership last weekend and looks to be a
great one-two punch for Lowell on the blueline.
Its so nice to see him paired with Nicholishen on
power plays but for most shifts, he's going to be
the top dog out there. If he continues his
confident play, the Lowell forwards are going to
be getting some great offensive support from this
guy.

Lastly, is my favorite for this "award" - Shannon
Basaraba, who has impressed me from early on in
his freshman year when this speedy forward first
started flashing by HockeyEast defense's. It would
be really nice to see him pot 25 goals this year
and score 50+ points. Although, I see him with a
touch of the "Craig Janney" syndrome ... pass it
even when you have half the net wide open. It was
nice to see Shannon get the empty net goal on
Friday, a night when I cringed two or three times
on chances were he decided to pass instead of
shoot.