Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 1997 07:39:57 -0500
-- [ From: [log in to unmask] * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

> Although I respect Bob's vast reservoir of knowledge when it comes to
college
> hockey (especially UNH), I have to disagree re:  the  Globe's coverage.
In
> reality it is quite abysmal.  Bob, please save the college hockey preview
that
> appeared in the Globe and then compare it with what they  will give you
for
> college basketball preview (especially when it comes to the national scene
).

You are both right, actually.  The Globe "shorts" college hockey compared to
pituitary-ball, but it gives more coverage than most papers (compare the
Albany and Providence papers for instance).

> My bottom line answer is bias.  The Globe's editors and writers are
predisposed
> to certain sports - pro sports, big time (i.e) football and basketball)
college
> sports and then, if they consider then at all, "small" college sports, in
this
> order - football, basketball, then hockey.

Actually, I think the real problem with the Globe is that it is terribly
written.  The reporters are constantly making enormous mistakes, and also
making nonsensical statements which just a couple weeks on a list like this
would disabuse them from.  Stylistically, they would never make it out of a
freshman writing seminar at a decent school.

The Globe trumpets itself as a well-written sports section, and indeed it
wins awards, but those are generally for the sort of soft stories that
involve the general public for a brief instant than the day to day work of
good beat coverage.  Happily, there are vastly superior resources out there
for information, this being one of them.

-- Greg

--

*****               Greg R. Berge                             *****
***        http://www.spiritone.com/~kworkman                   ***