From:
Rich Selin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rich Selin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 1997 09:51:06 CDT

  > >there are very few great seat too.
  >
  > I'll second that.  I've only been to about 10 Badger hockey games at the Dane,
  > and I can honestly say that I've only had "good" seats once.  If you're seated in
  > the ends it's nearly impossible to see the entire ice unless you stand up.  The
  > first 15 rows on either side aren't very sloped so even if your in the 5th row
  > you really aren't that close to the ice.  The rest of the rows aren't  much
  > better so you never feel like your right on top of the ice.

I'll third that.  Remember, it was not designed for hockey.  They still have concerts,
truck-pulls, and cow shows there.  The only good seats for hockey are up high,
between the blue lines.

  > On a different note.  Does anyone have a definitive answer on wether or not the
  > Badgers will play any games in the Kohl Center late this season?  I heard that
  > the negotiations between UW and the Dane had hit a snag, but that was way back in
  > June.  I haven't heard a word since.

There will NOT be any games at the Kohl Center this season.  They are hoping to have
games there for the 98-99 season.  But they have a contract with the Coliseum until
2007 and have stuck $3-4 million into the Coliseum (expanding the ice surface, new
Badger locker room, etc.) so it'll be a tough choice to leave.  Badger hockey is the
number one revenue maker for the Coliseum (parking and beer gardens).  There will be
no beer gardens at the Kohl Center.  UW says the Kohl Center will seat around
14,000 for hockey, not bad for regular season games.

Rich Selin
Center for Climatic Research