From:
"Edward N. Moller" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward N. Moller
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 1997 21:34:10 -0400
On  Sat, 18 Oct 1997 21:20:11 -0400 Rich Shelley wrote:

> The team benches in Kelly rink are not the
> same distance from their respective nets
> (i.e., the visiting team's bench is farther
> away from the net it is defending in the
> 3rd period than BC's). Apparently, there is
> an NCAA rule covering this, which allows
> the visiting team to request an equal amount of time defending the net
> closest to their bench. Usually, this is done by splitting the 3rd period
> into 2
> 10 minute halves, although at least one opponent
> chose to split the first period instead.
> Interestingly, it was Jack Parker who picked up on this, when BU played
> BC on the facility's opening night, much to
> the chagrin of the folks at BC.

Quite frankly I don't know why more teams do this.  BC's placement of the
visitor's bench is a big foul-up in the construction of Kelly Rink.  Anyone
attending a game there can see it provides the opponent with a huge
disadvantage in the third period.

 *    Edward Moller, Controller     |      Tel:  (617) 928-4515        *
 *        Mount Ida College         |      Fax:  (617) 928-4706        *
 *     Newton, MA  02159-3323       |    Email:  [log in to unmask]    *