From:
Brian Farenell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Farenell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 06:46:59 -0400
Hi. I'm back after two years in the Peace Corps (West Africa) so hi
to all you old-timer list members out there who I know.

As for the IHL-AHL, which is better depends on who you ask and in what
sense you mean 'better'? I'll state my biases up front: I'm an AHL
fan, because I live a mile away frrom the 4-time AHL champion Adirondack
Red Wings. The AHL is overwhelmingly a developmental league. I think
the league says that like 2/3 of NHLers played in the AHL. As was
mentioned, all the clubs in the AHL are affiliated. The IHL, on
the other hand, has no affiliated teams. The difference is that
most people in the AHL are young, promising players, whereas most
IHLers are minor league veterans. I suspect the IHL has a slightly
higher quality of hockey, because you've got much more experience
there, whereas the future NHLers are in the AHL. So there's somewaht
of a rivalry between the IHL and th eAHL and their fans, but they
don't really compete since the product is much different.
BRI
Clarkson '95

--
---
Brian Farenell          Glens Falls, NY, home of the Adirondack Red Wings