From:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 1997 08:44:44 -0500
>I have not followed pro hockey much since the movie Slapshot came out.
>However, in the old day the AHL was the top minor league.  How does the
IHL
>fit in?  Is it a step up from the AHL or a parallel universe for
players
>not under contract to NHL teams and assigned to an affiliated minor
league
>team?  Are any IHL teams affiliated with NHL team?

Many of the IHL teams are affiliated ... ALL of the AHL teams are
affiliated.  The AHL is a direct minor league.  The IHL has moved into
larger cities in recent years, and in some cases directly competes with
the NHL. The AHL is more developmental.  The IHL can be too, but there
are a lot more lifetime minor-leaguers in the IHL.

I think it provides a good balance.

BTW -- Martin St. Louis is 3-2-5 in 3 games for Cleveland of the IHL.

AW