From:
James Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 1997 00:16:16 -0600
Shoulds, Coulds and Woulds
(Renamed from the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly because, well, most of the
ugly players have graduated)

The Gophers will have to find a way to replace their eighth leading scorer
from last season, Eric Rasmussen, who left and signed with the Buffalo
Sabers (Scored first goal on Friday Night in a loss to the Capitols).  This
is like Alaska Anchorage having to replace Gord McCann. It has already come
out in press that Woog expects Nate Miller and  Brett Abrahamson to replace
Rasmussen not in scoring but physical play. Rasmussen's 123 penalty minutes
last year was, incidentally, 100 minutes more than the penalty minutes
leader from Alaska Anchorage(Jeff Lamm).  I have no idea if Woog actually
says things like this or the media emphasizes what seem to be unbelievable
statements.  Crowley is another story.  The Gophers were lucky to have him
around last year but he finally signed this year with Anaheim.  They won't
have anyone close to his skill level this year.  Returning is a strong
nucleus-I hate that word- from last year.

Shoulds

Reg Berg- After last season, I am convinced Reg Berg  will play in the NHL
with success.  (This comes from somebody who received two dozen hate mail
messages for saying that Bonin would have difficulty making the NHL . Bonin
incidentally was just demoted from the IHL to the AHL.)  Berg was a
proficient scorer as a freshman (23 goals), and  I didn't think he would
come anywhere near the same numbers as a sophomore.  Although struggling at
times last year he still had a good year with  11 goals and 26 assists.  He
always knows where the puck is, keeps his stick on the ice and is
fundamentally very strong. Reminds me of Trent Klatt around the net.  I am
convinced Berg will be able to score at any level.

Ryan Kraft - As Kraft goes, so will the Gophers. Flashes of greatness, and
also exceptional  overall hockey skills in every area. Sixth leading scorer
overall  in the WCHA last year.  But he can also seem to struggle and is
capable of dry spells and invisibility.  With Crowley gone, there will be
increased pressure on Kraft's ability to score.

Dave Spehar- Dances, prances, skips and jumps.  Along the way he holds on
to the puck and gets seemingly impossible shots from in close.  He also
doesn't miss very often.  Very successful freshman season with high numbers
(20,17) especially considering the limited ice time the first half of the
season.  Will go on the power play regularly and will  probably lead the
team in scoring.

Steve DeBus- Phil Housley had had six years of pro experience at DeBus'
age.  Oldest player in the WCHA (unless Tom Nevers is still around).  So
what ..- until Woog and the fans start complaining about the ages of
Canadians in the league.  Proven goalie who, if this is possible as a
Gopher, may be underrated.

Coulds

Casey Hankinson- Strong physical player who has no apparent faults with the
exception of taking bad penalties, many times at critical points in the
game. Very successful at winning battles for the puck.  Good shot , good
positioning, good with the puck, good without the puck, good defensively.
Good player.

Ben Clymer- Well, we will see.  Highly touted, and has  been on any number
of all star teams.  Physically very strong.  Should see his ice time double
without Crowley.  Personally I was underimpressed, yet for a freshman
defenseman it is all too easy to be too critical.

Mike Anderson- It is hard to get noticed with a name like Mike Anderson,
and sometimes he gets lost in the shuffle of extremely talented players,
yet he holds his own in almost every situation. Solid player with good
overall skills in all areas.  Much less frustrating a player to watch than
say, Nick Checco.

Brett Abrahamson- Could step up to be the stay at home defenseman every
team needs to protect a lead.  Led the team last year in +/- with a +18,
but could also move up into the penalty box if called upon, last year tying
for 7th on the team, with well less than half of the team leader.

Rico Pagel- Could overcome freshman jitters that sometimes plagued him last
season, including not scoring a goal in the last 13 games when the season
was getting tense.  Has a good name for fans to call out-a la Lar ry O
Limb- and could play to a Spanish crowd as Rico Bagel.

Woulds

Jason Godbout- Would be better if tried not to play that "other game" of
hockey.  Seemingly has tried to play as in intimidated defenseman without
much success. I don't like to be too critical of anybody coming back from the
medical difficulties he has had,  but Jason might try looking for the puck
more.  Doesn't seem like the same player who as a ninth grader helped Hill
Murray to the Minnesota State H.S. Championship.

Mike Lyons- Would be better if he tries relaxing a bit, which may happen as
a sophomore.  Playing smash face hockey all the time is not effective over
the long run.  Sometimes a poke check is better than a poke face on an
attacking forward.  Last year looked more as if he came from South St. Paul
than St. Paul.

Bill Kohn- Could easily double his 80 penalty minutes from last season if
officials start watching him.  This is entirely possible now that officials
won't be distracted by Rasmussen's elbows this year.

Freshman to Watch - Aaron Miskovich Minnesota's "Mr. Hockey 1997" from
Grand Rapids, MN

Please, no e-mail flames about how great every single player is or players
like Cory Miller and Brent Godbout who have not been included.

Jim Evans
293-6900