From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 1997 15:22:00 EDT
MICHIGAN 9 Toronto 2
Yost Ice Arena (Ann Arbor MI) 10/12/97
11:04 M Gassoff 1 (Langfeld-Kahler)
13:16 M Matzka 1 (Berenzweig)
17:19 M Muckalt 1 (Kosick-Crozier) pp
23:25 M Hayes 1 (Gassoff)
26:25 M Berenzweig 1 (Kahler-Rominski)
31:24 M Peach 1 (Kahler-Rominski) pp
44:02 M Muckalt 2 (Crozier)
44:29 M Langfeld 1 (unassisted)
46:29 T Dellio 1 (Glaser)
52:17 T Andrikopolous 1 (Zinn) pp
52:48 M Crozier 1 (Muckalt-Kosick)
Saves:
  T Dykeman 15-15-17--47 (60:00)
  M Turco 5-x-x--5 (20:00) Malicke x-3-2--5 (24:29)
    Daddario x-x-4--4 (15:31)
Attendance: 6139

Random notes/thoughts:
  * As with the Minnesota game, Michigan displayed a
wealth of team speed.
  * As with the Minnesota game (1-1--2 & gwg), Muckalt
was outstanding (2-1--3 & gwg).  The number of opportunities
he creates for himself and his linemates seems limitless.
  * Forwards Matt Herr and Andrew Merrick did not play
vs Toronto.
  * Freshman defenseman Mike Van Ryn is a gem.
  * I'm happy to hear that Bubba Berenzweig had a few
pancake hits in the Minnesota game.  Bubba has bulked
up over the off-season, and I worry that his additional
muscle will make him sluggish.  However, he looked much
quicker vs Toronto than he did in the Michigan scrimmage.
  * The buzz among the crowd regarding the Minnesota game
is that Coach Woog is upset at Coach Berenson for keeping
Turco in net the entire game while he played DeBus, Marvin
and Day.
  * As for the "new jersey rule"...I'm not sure why anyone in
Ann Arbor should be upset.  I can only recall one game (there
may have been others) where this was applicable.  Michigan
wore maize while Maine wore white.  I was under the impression
that both teams were OK with this.  If the NCAA decrees that
Michigan must wear blue (or "dark") in such an instance, so
be it.
  * Lastly...I like LSSU's third jersey, although they DO look
like the Swedish National Team.  All the Lakers' need to do
is sell some advertising space on 'em and they'd totally capture
that Euro-trash style. :-)

John Haeussler ([log in to unmask])