From:
Rob Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rob Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Oct 1997 20:30:50 -0400
On Sun, 12 Oct 1997, Jennifer L. McClellan wrote:

>    Hey all---I'm pretty suprised nobody has mentioned the rule change
>preventing visiting teams from wearing light colored jerseys.  The
>wording seems pretty obviously directed at Michigan  since the examples
>of illegal visiting jerseys given are "...white, yellow, gold, or light
>blue."  Maybe it's just that I see Michigan so often in the gold away
>jerseys, but I thought you guys up in A2 would be pretty hot about it.
>Is it just that nobody's seen the rule changes or what?  I'm a Spartan
>fan with green blood, but not anti-Michigan, and even though I honestly
>never liked the jerseys it doesn't seem fair to so obviously target a
>specific team.  Any thoughts from the Yost crowd?

Michigan's gold jerseys are "third" jerseys that they wear for big games;
the regular road uni's are blue.  I can't recall them wearing them to any
regular-season road game.

From what I remember, only Michigan, and Colorado College (and Minnesota?)
have had third jerseys.  I can't remember any big complaints from
other teams about U-M using them for tournaments.  There have been maybe
three games ('96 CCHA Championship, '96 NCAA semi's and final) the last
four years that they were the lower seed and wore the jerseys.

Then again, doesn't the home team have the jersey choice anyway?

So, yeah, it's a dumb, anti-Michigan rule.  What's wrong, the ref's
getting *more* blinded by two sets of light jerseys on the ice? =)

Back to the games,
Rob (that's OK, we'll just have to take the #1 seed in every tournament
we play!!) Walker