From:
"Kenneth M. Baker" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenneth M. Baker
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 1997 18:37:17 -0400
>(Turco's) whole career, he's had a solid defense in front of
>him, and I've always thought that, as a result, he was overrated.  I never
>truly thought of him as an all-american calliber goalie.  He always made
>some spectacular plays, but then he would turn around and let in a soft
>goal, maybe due to lack of concentration.  This year, the defense is very
>young and inexperianced, and Turco can be in for a long season.

For Michigan fans, this should bring back memories of the 1993-1994 hockey
team.  We lost a huge class with a small but excellent senior class and a
huge freshman class.  The defense was inexperienced with a top notch goalie
in his senior year.  One could had said these same comments four years ago
and substituted Shields.  However; Shields had a huge senior year; and the
defense was able to develop with Blake Sloan and Harold Schock joining
Steven Halko on the defensive core.  Good defensive play from the forwards
(i.e., Mike Stone) also helped Michigan play good defense.  And last but not
least; the freshmen played an important role in the success of the team that
season.

Will Scott Crawford and Mike Van Ryn have careers as successful as Sloan and
Schock?  Can Bubba Berenzweig become the leader of the defensive force like
Halko four years ago?
Will Turco be able to step it up a level like Shields did?  Can this
freshman class be as good as four years ago?  Is the press underestimating
this team like they did four years ago?

Only time will tell but Matt Herr, Bill Muckalt, and Marty Turco would like
nothing more than to redeem themselves from last season.  They ARE
determined to end their careers with two national championships in three
years.  Something that David Oliver, Brian Wiseman, and Steve Shields did
not do.

These teams have similarities to each other; but the difference is this
year's team will be more determined after the success from two years ago.

Kenneth M. Baker
University of Michigan '96
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]