From:
Daniel Olsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Daniel Olsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 1997 12:57:53 -0400
I've seen many comments on the Final Five, most in disagreement with the
program.  I think it's a bad idea too, but for a couple of different reasons.
Maybe John was right that this is the Clarkson rule revisited.  The Knights
have made more consecutive trips to Placid than any team, based largely on the
fact that they feast on teams in the 3 game series, going 12-0 since Cheel
opened.  Now they've only got to finish in the top 5 (instead of 4) to play
those games at Cheel.

Seriously, there has always been a favoring for the big 4 of the ECAC (whomever
they may be that year).  The old system kept the middle teams fighting until
the bitter end.  Consider the teams that fight for 6-8 in the final weekend.
Finish sixth and get to play the number 5 seed a week later or get the 7 or 8
and have to come back on Tuesday and then play the 1 or 2 seed that weekend.  I
think the 5-6 series would be a lot better choice :-).

Then you've got to consider what college hockey wants - FANS.  I'd like to be
able to turn on the TV on Friday or Saturday and see a game or two.  However,
college hockey has a few things working against it.  First, pro hockey is still
the fourth most popular of the big four (but it's growing and that's an
opportunity).  Second, the population in general doesn't recognize many of the
schools that dominate college hockey:  BU, Clarkson, North Dakota, etc.  The
conferences are unfamiliar as they do not parallel most other NCAA
conferences.  Then there is this final 5 thing; what other sport does something
so wierd.

Finally, lets consider for a moment the people who we have as college hockey
fans now in the ECAC.  Clarkson, RPI, Vermont, and Cornell have been the
dominant teams in the last ten years and their fans will likely continue to be
blessed to see playoff games at home.  But what about a team like Princeton.  A
few years ago they were hanging out with Yale in the cellar.  They finished
seventh a couple years ago and their fans got to see a home playoff game.  What
a great incentive to finish seventh, even if it's a play-in game.  Princeton
kept those fans interested and I can imagine that their recent successes have
not gone unseen (even if they're not hardcore enough yet to make it to
Placid).  This five team format seems to give more to the fans of the big guns
and less to the middle of the pack.

Regards,
Dan Olsen

IBM Global Services, Managed Operations North
CSR, Fishkill Building 300 3R10-84
Phone:  914-892-1661,  Tie Line:  532-1661
IBM Mail:  DOLSEN @ IBMUS or IBMUSM08(DOLSEN)
Internet Mail:  [log in to unmask]