From:
Jeremy D Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeremy D Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 17:19:27 -0400
On Tue, 9 Sep 1997 12:40:07 -0400 Mike Welvaert <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>     Clipped this from the Friday, Sept 5th, Kansas City Star:
>
>     BLADES TO BE OPPONENT IN HOWE'S RETURN
>

>        Howe is expected to see only one shift, but the Blades don't
>plan
>     to make that one shift a cakewalk for him.  If Howe gets in the
>way of
>     tough-man winger Dean Ewen, you can bet Ewen won't be stepping
>aside.
>        "If he chooses to put the skates on, whatever happens
>happens,"
>     Ewen said.  "He's just another guy wearing a Viper uniform when
>he's
>     out there.  He shouldn't play.  He's a legend, but more than
>anything
>     he's damaging himself.  I can't fathom what he's thinking."

Well, as a resident of Syracuse, NY, where Howe had originally planned to
make his "comeback", I've heard various thoughts on this whole matter.
The general consensus, though, was that if ANYONE took a run at Howe,
he'd immediately be clobbered by all of Howe's teammates.  After all, the
guy is only going to play one shift, how much damage could he REALLY do
at his age on one shift (I mean, his speed has to be considerably less
than it used to be...)

>        Howe had planned a return last year with Syracuse, NY, of the
>     American Hockey League, but the idea was scrapped when the team
>began
>     a late-season playoff bid.

And given how the Crunch did in the playoffs last year (swept by
arch-rival Rochester in the first round :^(     ), I'd have rather seen
Gordie Howe....

>     Know this isn't college hockey, but thought I'd post it anyway.
>     Awful lot of Mich fans out there... :-)    I personally think it
>     isn't right for him to do this "glory-seeking" move, but hey...if
>     he can still skate...let him have at it!
>
>     Mike Welvaert, UND '90
>     GO SIOUX...MAKE IT 2!!

Well...look at it this way...it's not during the "home stretch of the
season", and we're talking maybe about 45 seconds of ice time.  Sure, the
Vipers lose a regular from their line up, but for one game, I can't see
how this can really hurt.  Besides, it's a sure sellout....

Jeremy Hall
Clarkson '91
LET'S GO TECH!!