From:
Joel Mack <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joel Mack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 1997 11:39:38 -0500
On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, Charles Bell wrote:

> Just found this law on the net:
>

> §107. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair Use

<"fair use" for copyright snipped>

> It seems that UNO has no legal ground to stand on...

Thanks for looking that up, Charles.  One small hitch is that we're in
trademark law, not copyright.  However, luckily, the 1996 Federal
Anti-Dilution Act contains similar "fair use" provisions.
(URL:http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/15/1125.html - check out part (4)
under section (c))

However, what I've heard is that none of this has ever been explored in
regards to the WWW.  I'm not sure I'm interested in taking this thing into
court.  I just want to run my site, which, to be fair, UNO has not said I
can't do.  I was actually just fine with not using the logo, because I had
actually believed they wouldn't perceive some guy doing a site on nights
and weekends as a threat, and would give me permission to use the logo
with a disclaimer.  Ah...the innocence of youth.  :)  So, now it's a
principle thing.

Also, I got a call from the Omaha World-Herald last night.  Seems they
are doing a story on how UNO plans to make $25,000 next year in licensing
fees, and my name came up somehow.  Talked to 'em for about 20 minutes,
basically told them the story you already know.  Will be interesting to
see what comes of that...

Thanks again for all your support.  It's gratifying to know I'm not alone
in this.

Joel

Joel Mack ([log in to unmask])                         Omaha, NE
Home Page: http://www.tconl.com/~jmack
The UNOfficial UNO Maverick Hockey Home Page:
   http://www.mavhockey.com